EMF is all about fostering mission in Europe by planting and nurturing local churches. Today is a day of great opportunity for gospel work in Europe, and we are looking for a new mission director to lead and under God see gospel work in Europe go forth and increase. Over the last two years we have taken on a number of new missionaries, and have a vision to support at least 15 new missionaries by 2025. In addition since February 2022 we have raised nearly £1.5 million for our Ukraine appeal, supporting the churches in Ukraine and neighbouring countries to care for refugees both practically and spiritually. To enable us to continue to grow the work, we are expanding our leadership team, having both a director and field director in place to support the work.
The main objective of the Mission Director is to provide leadership and vision for the work, to be the public face of EMF, and give pastoral support to those engaged in the work of mission. The Mission Director will lead the senior leadership team compromising the field director, engagement support lead and the operations manager. The director works alongside the trustees who bring a wide range of skills and experience to assist in the work.
Fostering Mission in Europe
The director will help us develop structure and staffing to serve our vision to foster mission in Europe, in this day of opportunity and renewed concern for the cause of Christ on the continent of Europe. Whilst there will be a large degree of flexibility and freedom in how this is accomplished the role will involve the following
- Providing leadership in the work of the Mission and ensuring the agreed strategic direction is developed and implemented, in agreement with the executive committee.
- Supporting the field director in building and maintaining pastoral relationships with our missionaries and new missionaries joining our mission family, and mentoring students being supported by our mission fund as they prepare for gospel work in Europe.
- In conjunction with the supporter engagement lead ensuring EMF is represented among churches, mission agencies, theological seminaries and other relevant organisations.
- Overseeing the overall management of staff and mission headquarters. The day to day running of the mission is the responsibility of the Operations Manager, although they will look to you to provide guidance, direction and management supervision.
- In conjunction with the trustees and operations manager ensuring the legal responsibilities of the charitable company are fulfilled.
- Developing positive relationships with other mission agencies
Requirements for the role:
- It is an occupational requirement for this person to be an evangelical Christian in membership of an evangelical church, and who is in agreement unreservedly with our doctrinal basis and ministry ethos statements.
- Must be able to preach and lead church services, speak at conferences and meetings, across a spectrum of evangelical denominations, and as such be willing to work evenings and weekends, taking time off in lieu.
- Have a heart for mission in Europe and be able to demonstrate support of mission
- A good understanding of the context, culture and theology in contemporary Europe
- Be willing to travel frequently across mainland UK holding a valid full UK driving licence.
- Must be able to travel across Europe, with some Sundays away, with a valid passport.
- Must have pastoral experience in a position of church leadership, with good pastoral references.
- Must demonstrate the ability to network and build strategic relationships.
- Must show the ability to set a direction and lead with gravitas.
- Must have familiarity of IT, office administration and finance, with an ability to contribute to setting budgets.
- Must be well-organised and thorough in maintaining records, to ensure effective and professional interaction with staff, missionaries, supporters and outside agencies. There must be both an eye for detail and the ability to drive a vision.
- Ideally be able to write articles for the EMF website and publications.
- Applications can only be considered from those who are UK citizens or who otherwise have a right to work in the UK.
For details of EMF's Doctrinal basis and Policy Statements, click here.